Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Pemba -- last post for a while

Arrived today into Pemba, a beach town and capital of Mozambique's northernmost province, Cabo Delgado. Haven't had much chance to explore, but luckily the house I'm staying in is right on Wimbi Beach, so I do get some great views of the sea, sand and locals walking about from the back porch. Unfortunately the connection sucks so I can't upload any pictures. If I could they'd look something like this.

Tomorrow I'll head to Quirimba Island on a 5-hour boat ride with the local land owner to begin the real on-the-ground work of figuring out what the best opportunities are to develop the local economy. Tourism and coconut oil/biofuel will likely be at the top of the list.

No internet on the island, so next update probably not for another week - 10 days...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, they flew you around the world just so you could tell them that a good way for a community on a white-sand beach to generate money was ... tourism? I'm in the wrong line of work. Seriously, though, if you can talk them into opening one of those Crazy Shirt stores, I'm there on my next vacation.

Anonymous said...

Hey thank you for the wonderful article it had been genuinely useful , I hope you will just publish additional about this ! This topic rocks