Friday, April 6, 2007

Arrived and settled...

...into Maputo. The city is about how I expected actually--both the aura of past colonial/tropical charm as well as the realities of third world poverty. What I didn't expect was how relatively easily I could blend in here--lots of expats around, many also with NGOs, and quite a few Indians either living here or from South Africa. Not like Brazil or China, where they didn't know what the hell I was and where I'd often find myself in staring contests with curiuos locals (I always lost). Has been great getting to know the folks in the Technoserve Maputo office too--sharp, purposeful, professional people, but also laid back and friendly. Haven't taken any photos yet because I'm trying not to be too much of a conspicuous estrangeiro in my first week, but...

...I am getting ready for my first tourist thing tomorrow. Headed to Kruger National Park for a little safari daytrip. Will try to post some visuals from that in a few days--hoping the weather holds up and it's not too crowded on the holiday weekend.