Sunday, May 20, 2007

Back to Quirimba Island

My second and last visit for this project was a good one. Weather was a bit cooler than last time. I got to catch up with my client on all the research, analysis and recommendations we have for him so far, and the development opportunities for the island still look really promising. Plus, I got to see some of the neighboring islands and towns on the mainland that I hadn't before.

This time around, we took the mostly-land route from Pemba to get there. Four hour drive on a bumpy, mostly dirt and sometimes flooded road to Quissanga, at which point we met up with my client's boat to take us the rest of the 45 minutes to Quirimba. Quissanga was a really nice little seaside hamlet type place. Hopefully that road gets better in time because the town could be a good stopping off point for tourists heading to the islands, and I'm sure could benefit economically..









We docked at the north end of Quirimba Island where one of the old Catholic church ruins is located (below-left). Later on, I made my way over to the other church ruin on the island to poke around there as well (below-right). Unfortunately, right now we don't know a ton about their history, but there has been some talk of getting an archeologist who's on Ibo Island right now to have a look and try to surface some more info. One thing that was kind of interesting was the tree trunk protruding from the direct center of the main room, right where you'd expect an altar to be. Maybe it was actually planted there, or maybe just a coincidence.









Next post, some pics from my Ibo visit...

No comments: